10.20.2006

graduate study parenting...

Yesterday morning Jenna and I had to take Liam to the dentist again. One of his other teeth was affected by his fall a few weeks ago. It turned brown. It needed to come out.

Jenna and I were talking outside the examining room as Liam was getting his dose of Novocain from the largest needle EVER. This is the worst part of parenting: knowing that you are bringing your child into a place where he will feel pain. It is the worst. The worst. He whimpers as the needle punctures; we were told this is the worst part. Jenna and I know that this is best for him. The tooth has to go, or it will cause more trouble down the road. But knowing that Liam will feel pain and discomfort a few days just kills us.

He knew even as we were driving to the dentist what would happen when he got there. Liam however is one of the bravest people I know. He sat there and took it like a man. Plus he got to pick three toys out of the box for his bravery; that's always a plus. I was amazed at how quickly the tooth came out. The dentist is a saint (except for making us wait for an hour and a half in the waiting room.) She was so encouraging to Liam.

It is almost too obvious where this takes my mind, if I liken God to a Father. I won't expound on that except to say this. God loves me and seeks the best for me even when it seems like the opposite. I am loved. Also, to all our moms and dads - how did you do it?! We love you.

Jenna snapped the picture on our way home. The whole morning must have taken a ton out of Liam. He fell asleep in his car seat. Look at that sticker! You can't see it in the picture, but his left hand is clutching a yo-yo, his right hand holds a race car.

1 comment:

Cheeky said...

Update: Liam has recovered quite well from his second tooth-pulling experience. The dentist thinks all his other teeth are going to make it and his adult teeth are looking good. She said they'll grow in when he's about 8 or 9. So the two-front-teeth-gone look will be hanging around for quite a while!